Skip to main content

Movie Monday: Nightcrawler

 Okay- so I've been wanting to see this movie for a while and honestly... it was awesome. Jake Gyllenhaal is just SUCH a good actor- especially in these weird types of roles like this one. 

So this is a movie about Stringers for local tv stations and news stations. So these guys just go out to crime scenes with camcorders and try to get some footage of the crime or the accident or the victims- try to get interviews if they can and they sell the videos to the news for a few hundred dollars. And they work freelance for the most part- in this we see Gyllenhaal's character Louis start a company- but he's on his own for the most part with one intern that he is wayyy underpaying. 

So Louis is extremely manipulative and even before he becomes a stringer- we see he's pretty crazy and potentially dangerous. We see him steal at the beginning to get the money for his camcorder and he beats up a cop too. He talks people into doing very dangerous things that benefit him or that he doesn't want to do himself... he doesn't report dangerous criminals to the cops until it's convenient for him... and he doesn't really care if people get killed because of it. 

And as manipulative as his character is... we also get to see that the news is manipulative as well. They want to show the most graphic and disturbing videos and paint it in a picture that makes it look like tragic crimes happen in wealthy neighborhoods for no reason... it's just an interesting look at things. 

This is based on a real stringer and from what my boyfriend found out- they say the movie was a little more tame than things that happened in real life. I don't know about that... but that is shocking to even think of because this movie is pretty gruesome. 

It did have some slight hiccups... a lot of things are told in the form of a montage- actually 2 montages that are essentially back to back... but other than that it was a really great well paced movie that makes me want to watch more from Jake Gyllenhaal since this movie was really all him. 

Alright I hope you guys like this! 

Bye! 

-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogmas Day 12: The 12 Days of Christmas Gift Guide

So I thought it would be fun to do a gift guide that every gift corresponds with the price. So like for the first day of Christmas $1 gift that would be good and then up from there. These would be good stocking stutterers and things I just think are unique. $1- Solar Powered Dancers!  My mom loves getting the little dancing solar powered people. We get most of ours from Dollar tree... other dollar stores have them too, they're super cute and fun for $1. Its good to put near any plants that you have that way you know they're getting sunlight. It's a good gift. $2- Mini Coloring Book!  At 5 Below they had some mini travel sized coloring books for $2. I thought these were pretty cool. I got the Botanical one I believe. Really cute and fun! I would recommend! $3-   Ceramic Truck w/ Christmas Tree  I saw this at the Target Dollar Spot and I thought it was cute and would probably make a great gift. If you know someone who has a truck or likes the sort of "rustic C...

It List: May 2017

Can't believe it's the last day of May... this was a great time for TV... so let's get right into it! 1) Master of None- The second season of this show was really really great! I liked the first season... but this season was just wayyy better to me for some reason... I loved that they had episodes about Italy and about New York... I think they did a really great job and I was so impressed with it... I'll have to watch the first season over again and do a Throwback Thursday on that sometime soon... but until then... season 2 was great! 2) Girl Boss- I finally got around to watching Girl Boss this month too... and I loved that show! At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not... then I just couldn't stop watching it and I finished it in 2 days... which I guess is when I finished all the Netflix shows I'm talking about... but still. Girlboss was definitely really good... and I feel like I could watch this one over and over again too. 3) Unbrea...

Catching Fire Review! (some mild plot spoilers from The Hunger Games and Catching Fire)

Hello lovely people! I just saw Catching Fire and I liked it so much I figured I'd do a review on it! So if you haven't seen/read the hunger games it is a dystopian novel that focuses on games that people in Panem (which used to be the united states) compete in. The games take children from 12-18 I think, I may be wrong it may be older than 12 and they fight to the death in these Hunger Games that they are automatically entered in and have their names chosen at random. A boy and a girl from each of the 12 districts competes and if they sign their names more times, they will get more food to feed their families. The movies never actually mentioned that, but it's interesting and important. So the heroine of the story is Katniss Everdeen, played by Jennifer Lawrence. She volunteers in the games for her sister. And I don't want to really give away the end of the first one, but Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson are both in the second one... so it's a little obvio...