Skip to main content

The Plus One by Sarah Archer Book Review

Alright- I bought this book because it looked very cute and sounded very interesting and I wanted a cute rom com type of book to read around Valentine's Day... and I did read this around Valentine's Day and I'm just getting to review it now thanks to Social Distancing lol. Expect something a little more daily here for the most part!

Anyway this book is about a scientist named Kelly who is working on a companion robot at a highly competitive robotics company in Silicon Valley. On top of her boss stressing her out about getting this project done, her mom is pressuring her to find a date for her little sister's wedding. After one bad set up from her mom and no matches on a dating website, Kelly lies to her mom and says she met someone named Ethan- and later sneaks into her office and builds herself a robotic Ethan to take to the wedding.

Ethan is the sweetest robot boyfriend a girl could have. He is programmed that way of corse, but still he is very human and actually becomes more and more human the more he interacts with Kelly and others. He is learning the longer he is alive. And that combined with the fact that Ethan is basically built to adore Kelly and everything that she does... Kelly really does start to fall for him.

And although this book is very cute overall and does have a very happy ending... it does get kind of dark in the middle. Kelly is lying to everyone because she can't have anyone she works with know that she stole parts to use to make her boyfriend. She doesn't want to disappoint her family, she has a hard time answering anyone's questions about him and keeping her story straight, she's avoiding her best friend in the fear that she finds out about Ethan. It just gets incredibly messy and while there are some really nice moments showing Kelly falling in love... it really shows a lot of the difficult times of her life too. Kelly is a very human character and makes very human choices and mistakes involving this whole thing. The dramatic parts are still very fun to read too and for the most part they're actually pretty funny too. I'm not saying this to be like "WARNING THIS BOOK IS SAD" because it isn't... I just really like the emotion that plays out through the book.

There was one scene very early on in the book that was a perfect "awkward family dinner" scene that just kind of set up the book really well. You could really see who all the characters were and why Kelly was the way that she was because of everyone else. Her mom romanticized everything, her dad was the COMPLETE opposite... and her siblings were not crazy but they were both married or getting married... so you could see that the mom was more proud of them than she was of Kelly- even though Kelly had the most accomplished career. It gave a lot more details just in that one scene than you get in some characters throughout the whole book.

The ending of this was SO GREAT too. It brought everything together full circle. I would give it 5 out of 5 stars- just a really perfect book overall. Definitely recommend you guys read it!

Bye!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f