Skip to main content

Book Haul! John Green Boxed Set

So I figured I'd talk a little bit about some books that I'm gonna be reading during the summer! I have a post thats coming up about books I'd like to buy sometime soon and read... I wrote that quite a while ago and I haven't finished the books I'm currently reading right now. I like reading a bio and a fiction book at the same time... idk why really, thats just how I roll. Lol. So right now... I haven't picked either of these up in a bit, but I'm reading Amy Poehler's Yes Please, which is definitely one of my favorite books of all time and Gillian Flynn's Dark Places... which so far, idk. I didn't read very much of it and usually it takes me a while to get into Gillian Flynn books... and to be honest I'm going to reread this entirely... but I don't see how its going to be as good as Gone Girl or Sharp Objects. Those books are so creepy. Gone Girl is my favorite book of all time, and I've made several of my friends read it and they agree. It is amazing. My friend Deanna has read it at least 3 or 4 times I think and she hasn't seen the movie and she loves it. Lol. Annnnnnyyyyhoo back to the point of this post.

At Target they had a set of 4 John Green Books... which I guess is everything he's written. I'm not sure if there are more than four or not. And it was only like $34. Not too bad for 4 books. They're all paperback, I thought they were hardcover, but $34 seems reasonable right? It lists the actual prices of the individual books on the back... lets play math! ... Yeah The Fault in Our Stars retails for 12.99 and the other 3 are 9.99 so together its 43... so not bad! Plus it comes in a nice case with all details from all the books on it and quotes and things like that... and you get them all at once, which is cool.

There are a few books that he wrote with other people that are not included in this. There is Will Grayson, Will Grayson (with David Levithan... I guess he wrote that too? This is what it says on the back of Looking For Alaska) and a book called Let it Snow (with Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle.) So those are not included... everything else is included. Thats cool.

So The First book that he wrote that is in here is called Looking For Alaska, which I bought for a roomate of mine for christmas when I was a freshman. It won a Michael Printz award for excellence in YA Lit... which is cool I guess. Never heard of it before, but if its got an award, a movie or an Oprah Sticker, it probably is not bad. So this is the story of a guy with a bland life that wants more and he ends up going to a boarding school called Culver Creek which is not a very boring place. He meets a girl named Alaska Young (such a good book character name) and she is crazy and interesting and he ends up falling in love with her and changing everything. So yeah... this doesn't sound really like my cup of tea in a book...but I'm super interested in Alaska as a character. Sounds good!

The next one I've never heard talked about, but I've read the back description before and to me it seems the most relatable and it sounds quite funny and different. It also one the Michael Printz award... so thats cool. The other one was gold... this one is silver. Not sure if thats an Olympic type of thing, or just the silver looks better with the white backround of the book. BTW just a side note... the covers of all these books are quite beautiful and interesting themselves.... I think there is a difference cause this one says it has a Printz honor and the other one said winner I believe... so yeah. Lol.

Anyway this book, I haven't even gotten to the title yet... but its called An Abundance of Katherines and its about a guy thats been dumped by 19 girls all named Katherine! Lets read the first sentence of this, cause the description on the back doesn't give much plot detail. "The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school  and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath." Thats pretty brilliant. Simple. And only the first sentence. I dig it! Whenever I break up with a guy (twice this has happened... lol lame right?) I kind of retire the name. I feel like I've matured a little, and I probably wouldn't just not go out with a guy because of his name... but I feel like maybe there is a bad sign or something. If it ended badly. If it didn't end badly, then thats fine. It seems like all the Katherine's dump this guy pretty harsh too! Lol.

Next up is Paper Towns, which looked really interesting based on the trailer and I really want to see the movie, and I like reading the book first. I'll insert a link for the trailer here. Basically guy loves the girl across the street his whole life, never talks to her and then one night she goes over to him to get revenge on her ex boyfriend... and then the next day she disappears, but leaves clues for the guy (Quentin.) This is what I'm going to read first because I really want to see the movie and I think this sounds really intriguing. Right up my ally and I think its going to be really good.

And last but not least, The Fault In Our Stars... which I'm sure you've all heard of. Its a romance story about two teenagers that are recovering from cancer. Hazel is terminal, Agustus is still recovering I guess... I already know how it ends... and its going to break my heart even more after I read this. I haven't seen the movie yet, I just saw something on tumblr that spoiled the end for me. I was going to see the movie and not read the book because... I didn't know if I'd like it as a book, but I do think it looks really good and I'm sure the book will be a good read. Even though I know it will be heartbreaking... I still want to read it. So that should be fun too.

And just cause I have an English Degree now and I want to make good use of it... I'm going to analyze my first impressions on these a bit further... lol. It seems like there is a theme of strong female characters, some break up types of themes going on... all love stories it seems. And I've heard all of them will make you cry. I'm pretty sure Fault in Our Stars is going to have the saddest ending of the bunch... but we'll see! I'm excited to meet these characters that I'm going to like and then get sad because of them. I'm a pretty cold unfeeling person... lol so These will hopefully give me feels! Hahahahaha.

Hope you guys like this type of blog! Seemed like a good thing to let you guys know about and get a feel of what I'll be reading. Maybe I'll try finishing Amy Poehler's book like tonight or tomorrow and then read Dark Places and then Paper Towns. Lol. Dark Places is only on my ipad, so I wouldn't be able to read it like outside or anything... so yeah.

Byeeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f