Skip to main content

Scribbles About (Ear) Movies: Balls Out (Blacklist Table Reads)

So I've mentioned this podcast before on my It List... and I think I'm actually going to start doing a review on each individual movie that this podcast does.

So this podcast is called Blacklist Table Reads and what it is is just a group of actors reading a script that is really good, but has not been made into a movie yet. Making movies is a long, difficult process and just because something doesn't get made doesn't mean it isn't good... just like if a movie does get made it doesn't mean it is good. Lol. Hope that makes some sense.

This is a great podcast if you love movies because basically each month you get to hear a free movie! Its kind of fun to picture the settings and the characters yourself and I just really enjoy it. I also like it because you get to listen to movies you wouldn't necessarily choose for yourself. This movie Balls Out is definitely a movie I would go see in theaters, but the 2nd movie they have on is called The Other Side, and that is one I probably wouldn't have seen myself! And I am enjoying it. And if I wasn't I just wouldn't listen and I'd wait for the next podcast... I kind of like knowing how things end though, so its unlikely I would not listen to it even if I didn't like it. I'll get to a review on that when that is all done... Today its all about Balls Out (cool that rhymes lol.)

A few random things I want to mention before totally getting into the actual show... Its kind of not as easy to listen to a movie... particularly a comedy. Idk why, if I'm cleaning my room or doing something else, I found this a little harder to listen to. It needed my full attention for me to really appreciate everything that was going on. I also kind of liked listening to it all at once instead of in random sections... That isn't a huge issue... but I did listen to the episodes multiple times. Which is fine cause its funny and I really liked it.

Also I'm not going to just review it like I'd review a movie because we actually get to hear the script also. Which is really cool. This script is really unique and has a funny story to it, which I'll let you listen to the first episode to hear about... but it says things like "fade the fuck in" and "its a scene man" in the script, which I find really funny and fun to listen to. I appreciated this a lot, and in The Other Side... I don't think it has as strong of a script as this really.

So Balls out itself is kind of a workplace comedy. Its about a man named Jim who's kind of just an unlucky guy in general. He doesn't get the promotion he was sure he would get, he isn't getting anywhere with Olivia who has a perfect ass, and every day on his way to work he has to deal with his neighbor's asshole dog. And one day he dies and learns that there is nothing on the other side... and he comes back to life and realizes there is nothing stopping him from getting everything he wants.

This script and the story in general is completely Over The Top in the best kind of way. It reminds me of Office Space and Man Seeking Woman. If those two show had some sort of crossover, it would be this movie. Its kind of over the top, but still seems realistic enough for the setting. And it doesn't take place entirely at an office, but the job is kind of what holds the movie together.

The characters were really really good. You could actually feel for all of them. Jim was kind of an ass, but you could understand why and you were rooting for him. Lauren Lapkus's character was my absolute favorite. She plays the girl that kind of tells Jim the way things really are and she keeps him grounded. Lol. She lets him know its really his fault that these things aren't going his way... and she is 100% right. And Jim sort of just overlooks her. One of the best characters ever. I'm kind of upset that this movie didn't get made just because of that character. Jason Mantzoukus and Matt Walsh are also super funny and kind of jerks but kind of likable... and thats kind of how the characters are. Likable Jerks lol.

Anddd... yeah. The pacing was really good too. I thought the end felt a little rushed... but if it was an actual movie, the end would be really exciting and satisfying. Its sort of the type of movie I needed to listen to right now I guess... I'll probably listen to it again .

And like I said, it was a little hard to pay attention to, thats just cause its weird for me to listen to a movie... especially a comedy. Theres a lot going on. The first 2 episodes of their second movie have been released and they are a little easier to listen to because its a drama... but also I don't like it quite as much as this movie... I'll do a review on that later! But right now, the first movie is absolutely amazing and funny!

Hope you guys listen to this movie and find it helpful! I really liked it!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f