Skip to main content

Friends Friday: Did Chandler ALWAYS love Monica

Alright- so... every time I've watched Friends I've thought that Chandler and Monica were just friends until they got together... but I've seen fan theories going around... and I don't think I actually saw the video that showed this or read anything about it- but whenever I see a Fan Theory video it shows Chandler trying to imitate Richard... so I believe that was what the theory was... and I feel like there's evidence to support that. 

1) Monica was Chandler's Type 
Let's start out with the fact that all of the women chandler dated looked more like Monica than the other girls on the show. Janice has dark hair and brown eyes, Kathy has more reddish hair but it was still darker and she did look a bit like Monica. In season 1 he briefly dated a woman that was in a polyamorous marriage and she also had hair similar to Monica's. Heck even Yazmin Bleeth on Baywatch had darker hair more like Monica's. 

And I believe the only instances we see Chandler attracted to a blonde woman have some special circumstances. The Dutch woman in "The One With The Football" was going to be his rebound from Janice. I think there's another date he goes on with a blonde woman that calls him thinking he's her ex boyfriend... so he didn't see what she looked like before he went out with her. I believe the episode for that one was "The One With 5 Steaks and an Eggplant." 


Does this really mean anything? No- but I feel like you could see Chandler falling for someone like Monica. 

2) Chandler kind of has a man crush on all of Monica's Boyfriends 

So Monica has 2... maybe 3 major relationships on the show before she meets Chandler. Richard, Pete and I'd say Fun Bobby would be the third. Fun Bobby is just kind of a guy everyone likes and it seems like he and Monica went out a bit but they were never really that serious... He also wasn't as well developed of a character as Richard or Pete because he was only in a couple of episodes... so my main focus will be Richard and Pete. 

So Richard is an older gentleman that has a lot of money. He's an Opthamologist, he drives a fancy car and drinks fancy drinks. It's very easy for Chandler to admire him. There's one episode where Monica wants Joey and Chandler to get to know Richard and they try to imitate Richard. Chandler even grows a mustache... 

Okay but Joey is there with Chandler and he's doing all the same stuff Chandler does too... that's not that excessive... but Pete Becker is a man that developed a program that Chandler uses at work or something along those lines... and Chandler is the first person to know who he is and to recognize him... and he's pretty impressed. 

It's just something kind of interesting. Like on New Girl when Nick had a man crush on Russell aka Fancyman even though he also liked Jess... it's just something kind of cute. 

3) Every "Friendship" conversation before 
So ever since Season 1... there were a lot of moments Chandler and Monica have that are sweet moments. Like when Ben is born and Chandler asks if Monica would have a baby with him if she didn't have a baby by the time she was 30. In The One With The Flashback Chandler comforts Monica when she's feeling lonely and it's really sweet. At the end of season 3-beginning of season 4 Monica says She'll NEVER go out with Chandler and Chandler's really upset about it. the End of Season 4 is when they get together in the first place! 

So... yeah... I think Chandler may have had a thing for Monica during all of those moments! 

4) Chandler and Kathy's Breakup 

Alright... so back to Chandler and Kathy's breakup. I think Chandler was upset that he and Kathy ended because he finally had something real and I think Chandler was sort of growing up and ready for a mature relationship. When Chandler breaks up and he's upset- he wants to go to a strip club with the guys... but the guys aren't available so he goes with the girls... and that excites him even more! The girls talk about which of the strippers they liked and Chandler starts fantasizing about the girls and the strippers and he has a dream about it. And he just states that "All he wants to do is picture himself with strippers and his friends"... and then he does end up only having sex with one of his friends after... so it wasn't too  far fetched of an image. Anyway the weird thing about the dream is that Phoebe says she wants to go with another girl and he says "sure go with your instincts." Then Rachel gets picked up for a date with "Joshua"- which is funny because it's a big guy that was smoking at the club of corse and that's not Joshua. Anyway- I think this part of the dream was Chandler's subconscious not letting him cross a line with Phoebe or Rachel because he's really in love with Monica. 

Anyway that's just my thoughts on that. I know the writers didn't really plan on Monica and Chandler ending up together at the beginning of the show- but... this is just how I see it! I'm not sure if I think Monica always loved Chandler or if Monica always had a crush on him but... I might try to do another theory on that! 

Bye! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f