Skip to main content

Barnes and Noble Haul

So now that things are starting to open back up... I got to go to Barnes and Noble! And I got 3 books because I didn't really want to pick up too many things or touch anything but... I love books and Barnes and Noble so... I'm excited for these. 

So I was looking around to see if they had a section for books about things they don't necessarily teach in history books. It was Juneteenth when I was at Barnes and Noble and that's something I've learned a lot about and I want to learn more about and... I just wanted to see something else I could educate myself on. And I found something! The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Henrietta was a black woman that worked on a Tobacco farm that was the same land that her slave ancestors worked on... and her cells were taken from her without her knowledge and they were used for research. And those cells are still alive today and still being used for research. And Henrietta's story is largely unknown and her family didn't even know that her cells were still being used until 20 years after her death. 

I just feel like this is an interesting read for right now. I'm more interested in the health care industry with everything going on with the pandemic. And I think this story is important to learn in order to disestablish systemic racism.  Her children couldn't even afford heathcare- yet their mother was probably the one that had been used to find a cure. It's just... insane and I really want to learn more about this story. 

Also this book is written by Rebecca skloot. 

Next up I saw a book of stickers and it looked really cute. I've been making cards for people now because I don't really feel safe buying cards. EVERYONE touches cards and it's not really something you can sanitize without ruining the card. So I thought Stickers might be a fun addition! I will probably show pictures of this eventually and share some more info on it but... right now I'm lazy lol. 

And then I looked around a little bit for a book I wanted before the pandemic but I never ended up getting it. And I actually found it! I didn't even remember the name or the author, but it was called Followers by Megan Angelo. So this is about social media told between different characters at different years. One is in 2015-2016 where social media is how it is now and then one is in 2051 when there's a dystopic view of social media and it's like people have different story lines and it's all created by the government. It sounded really really interesting and I can't wait to read it! 

So that is everything! Hope you guys like this! 

Bye! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f