Skip to main content

Friends Friday: The Weirdest Episode of Friends? The One With The Fake Monica

Okay so I'm going to talk about an episode of Friends that I like... but it's weird. The One With The Fake Monica. So in this episode Monica finds out that her credit card is being stolen and she befriends the woman that stole her card... which is weird??? 

So anyway- I read this article about it on the AV club and there are 2 different people commenting on 2 episodes... I just kind of skimmed through what they thought about this episode in particular just because I wanted to know what the response of this episode was. On Kumail Nanjiani's The X Files Files podcast he reads the message boards of those episodes and what people thought about them at the time. I couldn't really find anything on Friends- although I didn't really look that hard lol. In some of the season 8- onward episodes I can tell you what I thought of them at the time when they were on but... this one I couldn't find anything for. 

SOOO anyway... this episode starts off with Monica finding out someone stole her credit card- and she sees EVERYTHING this woman is using her credit card for and it's all things Monica would love to do. She decides to go to the Tap Class that fake Monica signed up for and she befriends her and says that her name is Monana. 

Let's talk about the tap class scene a little. In that article both Joe and Sonia liked the tap scene although Joe loved the episode and Sonia did not. I didn't really read their opinions on the tap scene thoroughly- but I always had some opinions about the scene. Monica, Phoebe and Rachel all go to the dance class and try to dance as well as the other people in the class. Monica feels so uncoordinated and just doesn't like it. Rachel picks up on it right away and does it perfectly and Phoebe doesn't really do it the right way but she doesn't care and thinks she's doing great anyway. This says SO MUCH about all 3 characters... and Monica's struggle to relate to them. For Rachel- things kind of come easily for her at this point in time. For most of her life she's just been living off of her daddy's credit card and she had only been somewhat independent for a few months. Phoebe kind of lives in her own world and doesn't really care what other people think of her. Whereas Monica has to work hard to get noticed by people and cares very much about what people think of her. So that scene sets up the relationship between the three women of the show VERY well and it's a great scene overall. 

One thing I thought was interesting- in the article I liked- was that Joe mentioned that this was an episode where we got to deal with Monica's neurotic self image issues without her family being brought into the episode. I believe he said Mother- but I'd say family because sometimes Ross and her father also bring out that side of Monica. It's kind of like a self realization storyline for Monica. She realizes she could have the lifestyle of the fake Monica- she could certainly afford the lifestyle obviously since Fake Monica is using her money... but Monica is "too uptight" and won't spend her money that way or sign up to do the things Fake Monica is doing.

So that's somewhat my issue with this episode Monica... I would say that in this episode they're starting to label her as "Uptight" whereas fake Monica is kind of a free spirit... but that's not really the case. Monica is responsible- not uptight and Fake Monica is more irresponsible than a free spirit. Phoebe is a character that is a free spirit but Phoebe wouldn't steal someone's identity for insane shopping habits. 

And the episode kind of makes Monica look like the one that needs to be living her life differently- which sure she's happy spending time with Fake Monica... but it doesn't really blame Fake Monica for stealing her credit card information. At the end of the episode Monica joins the tap class and just dances and does things wrong and doesn't care when the teacher tells her. 

An episode I would compare to this one that I think might kind of have a better overall moral to the episode is season 6's "The One Where Phoebe Runs" where Rachel goes running with Phoebe and the way Phoebe runs is crazy looking and it embarrasses Rachel... but then Rachel runs like Phoebe and she has way more fun! So yeah. 

Overall... this is a weird episode and I love it as much as I love any episode of Friends... but it's a weird one and I'm not sure this is something they'd make today... which is the beauty of these early episodes of Friends. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f