Skip to main content

Movie Monday: Uncut Gems

So this movie... is actually amazing. I know Adam Sandler was upset that he wasn't nominated for an Oscar and honestly... I think he deserved one. I don't know if he was as good as Joaquin Phoenix in Joker... but I think he deserves to be on the same level as him. This was just a really good movie... I have to say the ending wasn't necessarily my favorite... but I feel like that's how it had to end. 

And this compared to Joker is kind of a fair comparison I feel. Both movies are more character studies than Plot Driven. This movie kind of has a lot of details going on and it's shown with very long takes- somewhat like Birdman so it feels like this could be a play too. The directors- Benny and Josh Safdie did an amazing job telling this story. It's about a jeweler who is in a lot of debt and a Basketball player from the Celtics comes into the store and looks to purchase an uncut opal that is very valuable... and pretty much everything Howard does leads to him getting into more debt and it leads to his downfall at the end. 

So this movie felt very real- that was something my boyfriend and I kept saying when we watched it together. The Safdie brothers actually knew all of the worlds they were dealing with really well. Their father was a salesman for a jeweler named Howard and that was the inspiration for the story I guess. They're also big basketball fans- so that was something they knew about and were passionate about so that was really cool too. 

Overall... I'm not sure exactly what to say about this movie but it was suspenseful... it wasn't all that funny but there were moments where I think I laughed... and it was cast perfectly. I would definitely recommend checking it out- it's available on Netflix and I think it was on sale when I went to Target also... so overall just a really great movie! 

Hope you guys like this review! Next week I want to do a music Monday on the new Lady Gaga album! 

Bye! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogmas Day 12: The 12 Days of Christmas Gift Guide

So I thought it would be fun to do a gift guide that every gift corresponds with the price. So like for the first day of Christmas $1 gift that would be good and then up from there. These would be good stocking stutterers and things I just think are unique. $1- Solar Powered Dancers!  My mom loves getting the little dancing solar powered people. We get most of ours from Dollar tree... other dollar stores have them too, they're super cute and fun for $1. Its good to put near any plants that you have that way you know they're getting sunlight. It's a good gift. $2- Mini Coloring Book!  At 5 Below they had some mini travel sized coloring books for $2. I thought these were pretty cool. I got the Botanical one I believe. Really cute and fun! I would recommend! $3-   Ceramic Truck w/ Christmas Tree  I saw this at the Target Dollar Spot and I thought it was cute and would probably make a great gift. If you know someone who has a truck or likes the sort of "rustic C...

It List: May 2017

Can't believe it's the last day of May... this was a great time for TV... so let's get right into it! 1) Master of None- The second season of this show was really really great! I liked the first season... but this season was just wayyy better to me for some reason... I loved that they had episodes about Italy and about New York... I think they did a really great job and I was so impressed with it... I'll have to watch the first season over again and do a Throwback Thursday on that sometime soon... but until then... season 2 was great! 2) Girl Boss- I finally got around to watching Girl Boss this month too... and I loved that show! At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not... then I just couldn't stop watching it and I finished it in 2 days... which I guess is when I finished all the Netflix shows I'm talking about... but still. Girlboss was definitely really good... and I feel like I could watch this one over and over again too. 3) Unbrea...

How To-sday: How To Arrange a Bookshelf

Ahhhh arranging a bookshelf. If you thought you knew how to do it you're probably wrong because I just did it wayyy better! 1) Use it For DVDs  I don't always keep a lot of my books... so many of my book shelves are really DVD shelves. So yeah. 2)  By Genre...  You ever think "Hey I'm in the mood for a horror Movie" and all you're finding is rom coms? Fear no more! Just arrange your dvds according to different genres. I have a section for Romantic Comedies/Chick Flicks, Horror and serious movies... on that shelf I also have my X Files DVDs and Tim Burton Movies because that fit there... One shelf I have cartoons, kids movies and holiday movies... one shelf is comedies, next shelf is TV... and I think that's it. 3) Give Wes Anderson Movies Their Own Shelf-  The only movie that didn't fit in my collection was The Royal Tenenbaums... Couldn't figure out where to put it... so it might get it's own shelf. Maybe I'll get other Wes Anders...