Skip to main content

Throwback Thursday: Serendipity

Okay... Serendipity is a Romantic Comedy that is all about fate and fortunate accidents. It is an old movie that I watch pretty much every time it's on... and I used to always love it... and I still love it... BUT I feel like I've gotten way more cynical about it as I've gotten older... so I'll kind of explain all of my feelings about it here.

The movie focuses around Jonathan and Sarah (played by John Cusak and Kate Beckinsale). They meet up one night in New York reaching for the same pair of gloves... and someone else tries to buy the gloves from them and they come up with some sort of excuse that they're buying them for Sarah's Boyfriend, who will become Jonathan's girlfriend "after the surgery" (someone asked who they were for and she said "my boyfriend" at the same time Jonathan said "my girlfriend.") And they really get a kick out of that I guess and they have dinner... but Sarah won't give Jonathan her name or her phone number. And this was back before cell phones were something everyone had... so everything is more complicated to begin with.

Sarah, really really REALLY believes in fate. She doesn't think anything is a coincidence... she looks for signs for everything and... when I was a kid I thought that was sweet. As an adult... I think she's CRAZY! 

Soooo Sarah kind of makes up her own rules when it comes to fate. At first she says "Ohhh fate brought us together for the night. It's a sign that we met."and then when Jonathan is giving Sarah his number, the number blows away and she's like "That's a sign! This is wrong!" And she says "well maybe it's a coincidence that we met." But it isn't a coincidence that the number blew away... it's just frustrating.

And... it's kind of irresponsible too... she should have just broken up with her boyfriend then because its an ACTUAL sign if you have feelings for someone that you aren't dating and when she does get engaged to the fiance... she breaks it off because she loves Jonathan... and it's like this other guy wanted to marry her... but he didn't... and it's just not nice to string people along like that when you know there's someone else...So those are just my thoughts there.

The last few times I've watched this I also noticed that I think Jonathan's Fiance is in love with Molly Shannon's character. It just seems like she really wants Molly Shannon there at the wedding and they seemed very friendly and she automatically assumed that Sarah was her partner- when it didn't really seem like anything romantic was going on between the two of them... I just think there was something a little more there and I think they get together after the movie is done.

Now as nitpicky as I am about this movie overall I do really enjoy it... even though it's silly and unbelievable and frustrating... it still works and it's good... but I have to say one of my least favorite actors ever is Jeremy Piven... he just annoys me so much- he was accused of sexual harassment recently and his career is over now... but I also just think he's a bad person. He said "hug it out bitches" on a live tv show when he shouldn't have said that (it might have even been a kids show), he shouldn't have won the emmy for Best Supporting Actor against Will Arnett for Arrested Development... and I'm pretty sure he was involved in a bar fight with the Desperate Housewives actor Jesse Metcalfe... he's just a bad person and a bad actor... and his character in this movie annoyed me soooo much.

I think that is everything I have to say about this movie... I know I'm giving it crap but I do really love it and think it's a fun movie and I will watch it every time... but I'll also probably end up doing a blog post about how stupid it is every time. I feel like Cinemasins was MADE for movies like this!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f