Skip to main content

The Best (and worst) Scary Movies

So since it's Friday the 13th... I thought I'd try talking about every scary movie I've seen and... we'll just see if I can remember the plot exactly and if they're good or bad. I like scary movies... but I don't see them that often and I don't totally remember the plot of all of them.

Let's start out with the first one that I ever saw!

The House on Haunted Hill (1999) 
I saw this when I was pretty young... I was maybe 10 or younger when I saw this one... and honestly... It is a really scary movie for a 10-ish year old... and there was a lot of mature content that went over my head at the time... and I was kind of a scaredy cat as a kid... but this didn't really give me nightmares. I think it's mainly because there were really only 2 likable characters in the bunch and those 2 ended up making it to the end of the movie... so that was pretty good. I didn't know the cast of the movie at the time... but now looking at the cast list- I want to see this again. Taye Diggs, Ali Larter, Chris Kattan... lots of people that I didn't know at the time of this.

And the more I think about this... there were a lot of just weird scenes that weren't really scary just odd and creepy... almost artsy? I remember one part where there was like an old-timey movie projection. There was also a random roller coaster at the beginning that doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of the movie... but it is still kind of creepy. I don't know. I liked it.

The Skeleton Key (2005) 
This was maybe the second horror movie I saw in theaters (house on haunted hill I did not see in theaters.) I remember liking it a lot... but I was so confused by the ending... and I'm still a little confused by it. I did look up what the ending was several years later and I think it made more sense... but I still need to see the movie again. It's a weird one for sure... but it's pretty good up until the end.

The Village (2004) 
This was the first scary movie I saw in theaters... at the time I really liked it... now idk. I feel like not much happens for a long time in the movie... and I did kind of like the book that this was based off of and I don't necessarily think this movie is a good representation of that. It's a pretty beautiful movie though but I think this is when people didn't love M. Night Shymalan anymore.

The Sixth Sense (1999) 
We're getting to all the Shymalan movies now. This was the big one from when I was a kid... everyone knows this movie. Everyone knows the end. I don't know if this is necessarily scary... but there are parts that still scare me a lot. When they find out who killed the one kid... I don't want to spoil it too much and I don't exactly remember it... but that part scared me. It's a good one but I think there are some plot holes with it... need to watch it again... maybe for Blogoween!

Poltergeist (1982) 

This one I saw recently... and I thought it would be a lot scarier than it actually was. I did really like this movie and I think it's a fun movie to watch... but if you watch the Cinemasins Everything Wrong With Poltergeist you know there's a lot wrong with it. I think the story behind the movie is scarier than the movie itself... so there's that too.

BTW I think this was the 1982 version... right now I'm imdbing a lot of horror movies and it's scary lol.

Signs (2002) 
I liked this movie... I didn't see this in theaters... a lot of my friends were scared of it... idk. I just liked it but the end was a little weak.

The Visit (2015) 
I actually loved this movie... but the big thing wrong with it is that they really make you think "This is aliens!" Or something supernatural is happening... and it isn't. And I did like the movie anyway... but it's not something I'd really watch again.

I also kind of like the crappy era of M. Night... I think he's making a comeback now- from what I've heard Split is pretty amazing... and this is just good.

Scream (1996) 

This one is definitely one of the best. One of the funniest on the list and one of the scariest on the list... which is what I really like about it. This is a very suspenseful movie and... it's just one of the best. I need to see the other Scream movies... but I love this one.

Sleepaway Camp (1983) 

Stop what you're doing... watch this movie right now... and thank me later.

Get Out (2017) 

This is another one of the best on the list... if not the best on the list... There's so much to this movie and it's done well... like there are sci-fi type elements with actual psychological thriller elements... it's just a really great one. Plus it's the first of it's kind really... it was doing something totally new to the genre... and it's just awesome. Awesome that this is Jordan Peele's first movie too... it's just such a great movie!

I Know Who Killed Me (2007) 

So I saw this at a sleepover and I kind of fell asleep while watching it... but still this is definitely the worst on the list. It was entertaining... but there's just so much weird stuff that happens that doesn't really have anything to do with the movie... the "twins that are separated" thing was more confusing than suspenseful... and it was predictable. And I don't think anyone actually even died... so yeah. Weird one for sure.

Alright... there are more... but I'm going to end here. I feel like you guys get the idea... I'll try getting to talk about some more in July... and maybe I'll do some stuff for Blogoween too... cause I think I'm going to do that again this year.

Byeee!
-Shannon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f