Skip to main content

Feminist Friday: Dana Scully: The 90's Most Awesome (and badass) Woman.

So new thing I'm doing here. Tryin to change it up a bit with a Feminist Friday. What is Feminist Friday? Basically Woman Crush Wednesday... but on a Friday. Lol. I didn't have this by Wednesday.
So since I've been rewatching the X Files I've realized how completely awesome Scully is and I'm gonna break it down a little as to why I think she's the coolest.

She is never really Glamorized or Sexualized the way that other women on TV are 

Gillian Anderson is absolutely gorgeous. She was about my age when they started the show I think, which is weird to think of. And it would have made a little bit of sense to have her be the super hot super young FBI agent and it would have made sense... but they showed her as a really real agent. She gets her hands dirty, she isn't in like a beauty patent or something, she's an actual real agent as much as Mulder is. Its something that they make a point not to do with Scully. And every once and a while it'll come up that she's hot or something. Frohike mentions it, Mulder mentions it, in the episode Genderbender she almost has sex with someone she just met because he had this irresistible power over her. She's still never really treated like she's a sexual object or she's just there to fall in love with Mulder or anything. She's a real agent.

Non-Traditional Gender Roles 
This is another thing I feel like was done on purpose re-watching it. I feel like Scully and Mulder have sort of a role reversal. He's the believer and she's the skeptic whereas usually the woman is shown as the believer and the man the skeptic. Its interesting. Also interestingly enough in real life, David Duchovny is a skeptic and Gillian Anderson is a believer. So that's cool.

She's not afraid to tell people off 
From very early on in the series, Scully tells a lot of people off! In the episode Squeeze, which is the third episode, she tells off a friend of hers from the academy because his means of getting to the top aren't really moral. She also tells off Boggs in Beyond the Sea because she doesn't believe he's really a psychic and she's unsure of his intensions and she has a really real moment where she tells him off and I always liked that about her. She's not scared of what these men, considerably pretty dangerous men, are capable of doing to her. Its interesting to see.

She's smart, and fairly open minded for a skeptic 
Scully is a scientist. She researches stuff and she knows what she's doing and she does her job better than most people. And its not just because she's brilliant, Mulder is equally brilliant... but Scully has a very open mind for a skeptic. Scully wants to believe and when she sees something like the Fluke Worm, the worms in Ice, The Man eating bugs and other strange things that aren't necessarily paranormal... but they aren't normal... she believes them. Mulder is a little more close-minded. He always believes its aliens and he can't really see the other possibilities. Scully (spoilers... kinda) has to learn to believe in the existence of aliens, and eventually she does.

One scene that I think perfectly shows Scully's open-mindedness is in EBE, the first episode with The Lone Gunmen. Right away Scully says that they're so paranoid and they answer the phone thinking that people are tracking them and she basically thinks they're crazy... and then she finds a camera in the pen... so she knows that people are listening in on her and she's like "hey these crazy guys might be onto something."

They give her a really interesting backstory 
This is just kind of a compliment to the writers for the characters in general, but the Scully episodes have become some of my favorites because she's such an interesting character that when they just show her with her family, its just as interesting as when she's solving X Files. They did a great job with both Mulder and Scully, but I feel like Scully in particular has a really interesting background and they did a really good job with her story.

So that is it! I'll try to have more of these, maybe not just about specific people or characters, but maybe about news stories and things like that too.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f