Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV: Shannon Watches Old TV Shows; The X Files Season 2 part 2

Irresistible- This was a really good one. This kind of stopped the streak of "meh" episodes in my opinion because it was really great. The villain was really creepy, you would never really suspect someone like him would be the villain. He was also charming, so thats a little creepy itself. Also its nice to see Scully kind of scared of something. This job really effects them, and this was the first time her experience was really mentioned other than just Mulder asking if she's okay. I thought this was a great episode and it was such a perfect time in the season to have it.

Die Hand Die Verletzt 
I actually remember liking this episode a lot. Its creepy. I didn't really remember much of it, I remembered it raining toads and I remembered the girl was named Shannon... but I had no idea that was this episode. And it was really good. I thought the teachers at the school thing was so creepy. This is the last episode that Glen Morgan and James Wong before they left for another show and they came back later. I thought the "It was nice working with you" was really effective that way. I thought the rape thing that Shannon was saying would have been more effective if you knew it was true or not. It didn't really seem to be... but it was nice to see Scully comforting her and that actress was incredible. I really thought this was a fun episode. The Cold Open of this episode was absolutely the best... this is why the cold open's in the X Files work so well and I think in pretty much all dramas, I prefer a cold open. It just makes sense. 

Fresh Bones 
I like this episode more now than I did at the time. It was creepy and cool and there really were a lot of twists in this one. I thought the end with the kid being dead and the kid being a cat was really good. There was a lot in this episode that was just creepy and it just worked really well. It might not have been the most interesting episode... but it wasn't boring at all and I really really ended up liking it. And I wasn't expecting to like it, I thought that it was going to be another meh episode after all these great ones, but it was really pretty great. And one of those episodes thats different than others but kind of like "ohhhh this is why I like The X Files. 

Colony 
This is one of my favorites and one of the things I was most excited about in the re-watch... although I have to admit I remember almost none of it. That actually makes this even more exciting because I'm about to go to bed, and I haven't watched the second part of this yet!!! I remember the weird device that made that sound, and I remember the green alien blood. I didn't remember until seeing it, but its all coming back now. And Samantha is back!!! That can't be her though right? I'm not 100% sure and again, I'm not going to watch the second part till tomorrow morning, so I won't know till then... but thats exciting to see it may or may not be Mulder's sister. And Mulder showing up to Scully's door and then calling her at the same time... thats such a thing that a lot of movies do and have always done... but there's such a scary take on it during this particular X Files episode! I don't know, its pretty cool though all together!!! Can't wait to watch End Game!

End Game 

Wow... that was a good payoff. I really love the two parters. I remember I watched these for the first time for DVD and I could have skipped to the two parters... but I was always wayyy too excited... well actually I think I saw this on tivo first. For some reason Duane Barry, Ascension and One Breath were not in syndication at the time I think, so that was confusing... actually that probably explains why I didn't think 3 was terrible lol. But I remember this being the first 2 parter I was like "wow this alien stuff is really cool and exciting!" And I decided to just stick with it. Lol. Yeah this was really good all in all. Nothing let me down. Also spoilers: It wasn't really Samantha.

Fearful Symmetry 

So this episode... is probably the reason I've been hesitant to re-watch the series... the next one too is included in this... and the cold open is random, long and somewhat traumatic. I actually just watched the cold open and I paused it to listen to what the podcast says about it... Kumail already said he didn't like this one much... so this should be interesting. Lol.

Okay this might be my least favorite episode. Nothing happened. There was no resolution at the end. We have no idea why these elephants are invisible... the people at the cold open were not in the episode at all... Watching the elephant die and seeing that little girl watch it was just hilariously tragic. We also don't know why they're impregnating the animals or why its not lasting. Mulder is too quick to jump to Aliens, I was expecting some sort of curse or voodoo thing. It was just crazy. The characters weren't even that good, the names weren't that good. Sometimes I feel like they kill off wayyy too many people and I don't think that is necessarily interesting. I also think its funny when Scully is just like "ohhh I hate that guy" and wonders off. Its a pretty funny episode.

Nothing happens... nothing is solved and it seemed like there was no real arc or motivation for the characters. It was a little all over the place.

Dod Kalm 
This episode was kind of boring to me. It was better than Fearful Symmetry... but I didn't love it. It was resolved at least and I liked the end because it was like a reversal on the end of Darkness Falls, which was them in the hospital and Mulder was okay but Scully wasn't. Then they had Scully in the hospital after she was abducted and she mentions that which was cool. The only thing better about the last one that wasn't in this one is the Lone Gunmen. Lol they should have been in this episode. But all in all, still okay.

Humbug 
This is one of my favorite episodes ever. Every episode the writer of this wrote is definitely a favorite and ones that I consider classic X Files episodes. I think if you're just starting to get into X Files and you like Freakshow type of things or horror movies, this is a good one to watch. Its really a funny episode and this is the first episode that really shifts its tone and is definitely a funny episode... but the murders in this are some of the scariest and most intriguing of the series. I thought all the attacks were really great. and at the time, they show the monster and I had no idea it was Lanny's brother... I think this is the first time I noticed that the Conundrum ate Leonard, I think I used to think he ate the dog and that's why he said "must have been something I ate" and then I figured since Lanny was dead they knew Leonard would also die... but damn. He was eaten! And maybe he wasn't maybe he did eat the dog... but The Conundrum totally ate him!!! Never picked up on that.

The scene where Scully eats the bug is cool. I remember she actually did eat one before they were filming the episode and she was familiar with eating crickets, although I don't think she actually ate the one in the episode... probably for legal reasons she couldn't.

I also love the cold open with the lizard man and his kids. I love the freak town and the mean manager. Lanny was great. The fun house scene... just everything about this episode was absolutely perfect. It's such a good episode with a great theme of acceptance. Really funny, really scary, suspenseful and a good meaning.

The Calusari 
I remember watching this episode a lot because it was on the same disk as Humbug I believe, so I just watched this after. This was also probably the scariest one to me at the time of watching it because devil children freak me out. Also the cold open is really good. There's a lot that doesn't make sense in this episode, like sometimes the evil twin is possessing the normal twin, sometimes he's his own person, sometimes he's just an energy... but he does seem to get stronger through the episode so that is probably why. Some of it I think was trying to be like "shockingly controversial" but I don't think the payoff was great... so that was just kind of a weird thing. I overall thought this was a good episode. And I think it didn't slow down the season the way that some of the other episodes did. Like the few after Scully's abduction and the couple episodes before Humbug. I thought this was a solid episode.

And when I'm looking at these episodes, I realize that the way the episodes are can really make or break the season for me. I really think that because of the Myth Arc episodes it can really slow the show down when they have a couple bad episodes in a row. This season started out great. The Duane Barry and Ascension episodes were awesome, 3... not so much then it picked up again at One Breath. Then Firewalker... kinda lost interest and the one after that... also a little slower. Picked up again around Irresistible, Fresh Bones was better than I remembered it being. Then they did the two parter which was amazing. And it slowed down the next couple episodes... but then picks up at humbug and this was a good episode to watch after that... and then I think it slows down a little again. And then the finale, which if I remember is pretty cool. And then Season 3, which is just awesome. They really play with the show in Season 3 and get it really right!

F Emasculata
This episode I wasn't paying total attention to, a lot of these I watch while I work out... but this one was really good! Its another disease gone crazy episode... which they have a lot of, but this episode was more conspiracy based. They were testing out a drug that could cure a disease so they gave the disease to prisoners and the prisoners escaped. And it was interesting because Mulder was chasing the escaped prisoners while Scully was helping the scientists figure out what was happening. Its really scary because this all... probably happens and the podcast was taped around the time of the Ebola scare, so thats also mentioned a lot and compared a lot... so that was interesting. I actually kind of want to watch this again and just pay attention to it because its that good. Really liked it!

Also Dean Norris from Breaking Bad was in this episode... essentially playing the same character and looking exactly the same!

Soft Light 
Didn't totally understand this episode and I was bummed out by the ending... but it was a good episode. Tony Shaloub was really good. This is the first Vince Gilligan episode, so thats fun to kind of think of the Science parts in terms of Breaking Bad and stuff like that, I was sad at the ending. He's very relatable and you feel bad for him, it was sad that Scully's student... who he kills which is sad too. And then the end is just very... jarring. Its sad to see Dr. X helping him with this sort of evil thing. Its very disturbing and it sets the tone for the darker things going on with the mythology. Not great episode, but still didn't slow down the show and I liked it enough.

Our Town 
Did not get this one... at all. Lol. I think I liked this one a lot when I originally saw it and I think I watched this episode more than once... but now I just felt like it slowed it down a lot... I just didn't love it this time. Lol.

Anasazi 
Amazing. Best Season Finale ever maybe???? I feel like I hardly ever re-watch season finales, but I know I re-watched the X Files a bunch of times because they know how to do it! I thought the thing with Mulder's water was really cool, and the murder in his building just to show that Krycheck was poisoning everyone. Mulder's dad was murdered... that like NEVER happens in season finales anymore where  they actually kill off someone somewhat important. I guess Mulder's dad wasn't that important but, he was important enough and it was unexpected for sure! You also don't know what happened to Mulder or what is going to happen to Scully.

And the fight between Skinner and Mulder was just unexpected and cool. Its just a great show!

That is it...really excited to start season 3... might take me a little longer to get through it because I want to watch Wet Hot American Summer, Bojack Horseman and Empire before that comes back cause I know I need to watch it and I haven't yet! So... yeah. I'll probably do reviews on those too, so look for those and... Season 3 is the best! Some of my favorite episodes are all in season 3.

Byeeee!
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f