Skip to main content

Watching The First 30-ish Minutes of The Emoji Movie

So... I decided to watch The Emoji Movie the other day... and it's an experience so far... I don't think that I can actually watch the full thing... so this may end up being a series on this blog where I do 3 or so installments.

Now I thought "this movie will surely get better" but now that I've had a bit of time to reflect on this first installment of the movie... I realized it probably does not. The last moment I watched was when they very first meet Jailbreak... and just from the brief appearance I saw of hers... I thought she was a great character... again I've only seen a few seconds of her... but she brought an energy that I wasn't getting from High 5...

And let's talk about the High 5 Emoji... because as far as characters in movies go... High 5 is probably the least likable and my least favorite... it's bad. I didn't think there was anything that would make me dislike James Corden... but this High 5 Emoji is pretty terrible.

And if we do a deep analysis of this... High 5 is a relatable character. He has a fear of being replaced because he has been replaced by the "fist bump" emoji which is cooler. I get that emotion... I've felt replaced a bunch of times in my life... and I've been jealous of the people that replaced me... but yeah the High 5 Emoji is just a bad character.

There's a lot about this movie that doesn't quite add up... and it's just kind of lazy storytelling. There's no real indication of anything bad happening to the emojis if they don't get used or anything good happening if they do get used a lot... they could have established this.

Also there's no real indication of who this movie is for... it's a kids movie... but the main character is a freshman in high school. My guess with this is that they thought they would have a "Wreck it Ralph" audience and that didn't really happen. I can't imagine anyone over the age of 8 really loving this movie... and that's kind of being generous lol. Did anyone like this movie? Because it was honestly more enjoyable than I've expected so far... but if they told me this was all written in an afternoon... I'd understand that.

Also... why does Poop have a bowtie on but Meh can't have any emotion other than Meh... it just doesn't make sense that this only really effects the emotions... maybe there's a bigger message I'll find out at the end of the movie... I don't really know.

So here's the "experience" I had with watching the first 30 minutes of the emoji movie... I watched it at night... and usually I'd stay up a little longer but I kind of just shut down and needed to go to sleep... which is funny. I can only explain it as "shutting down" because it felt like something was just like "Okay... just stop being awake right now."It was still like midnight... possibly 12:30... but still... I just shut down.

Then when I woke up in the morning I forgot I watched it... forgot it ever happened and I wasn't going to write this blog... then I saw some of the "notes" I wrote about this movie because sometimes when you have a blog you inexplicably have to do things like write notes for The Emoji movie... but yeah I saw the notes and I was like "wait... I watched the Emoji Movie" and then literally the whole thing came rushing back to my head... and it was just a bad experience.

So... that's just my little first impression on the first part of the emoji movie... I'm going to try to get through the rest of the movie. I might be being a little harsh on this movie... I really did think it was better than the reviews gave it credit for so far... It didn't make me that angry yet... and the characters really have potential and there's energy there that could have worked... the story is a little weak and this movie is already dated not even a year after it's release... so that's stuff that kind of adds to me disliking this movie... also I kind of know what to expect of it... so that might also be a factor... but I just had to write my first little thought on this movie because it was quite the experience.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f