Skip to main content

Scribbles About Movies: It (2017)

Happy October everyone! This month will probably be a lot of Spooky posts and some "birthday" Posts because it is my birthday on the 16th. I'm turning 23 for the 5th time... so I hope you guys like these posts. I think there are definitely going to be some short stories in here too... hopefully some good stuff!

So before I really... get into my full review of the movie I need to say that I have seen the original years ago... and honestly- I didn't think it was that scary. I watched it in the daytime and while I found the stories about the characters compelling and Tim Curry is wonderful in everything that he does... I just did not really love the movie and I didn't think it was that scary.

I was thinking I might find this one a little bit more compelling because this is apparently a little bit more like the book than the original movie... but... here's my snapchat post to sum up my feelings.

And my review is pretty much the same. I think that advances in technology have made this remake a little bit better... but I didn't really find it suspenseful at all... it just felt like there were a lot of jump scares that didn't really connect together all that well... and it's a very long movie too. It's pretty well paced and there are some good moments that are just kind of more comic relief or a breath of fresh air... so I thought it was well paced... but I just don't find it scary.

I don't really get that scared by horror movies in general. Overall- I get more creeped out by Batman villains weirdly enough. The Joker in the first Michael Keaton batman scared me a lot and I think The Scarecrow is scary... any sort of mind control thing scares me a lot... but scary movies I just find entertainment value in and I like watching for the messages... I think horror movies say interesting things more than actually scaring me.

I thought this one had some interesting themes and messages to. Fears, growing up, losing childhood innocence- all interesting themes and it's presented in a pretty interesting way... the one scene I could remember vividly from the original was the scene where Beverly went to the bathroom and there was a balloon blowing up in the sink and blood came out of it. In this movie they did it a little different and it was a little bit scarier. They showed that Beverly's father was abusing her and that she had her period and she was ashamed by it and her father treated her differently because of it. She then cut her hair and the blood filled in the bathroom... but he couldn't see it. This shows that she fears of what will happen when she's growing up and that her father is denying the fact that she's growing up and doesn't see the blood.

That's just one example... and one scene that I really liked in the original movie and I thought it was maybe even better in this movie.

I heard a lot of people saying that Pennywise in this movie was way better than Tim Curry's Pennywise... I'm not sure I'd compare. I thought Tim Curry's was a lot scarier... but I really liked how animated Bill Skarsgard was. I thought he seemed really into the role and he was just kind of funny... but in a creepy way... he did a great job.

I think my big problem with this movie in general is that it isn't what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be a movie that was just about killer clowns. I didn't think it really needed anything supernatural in it at all... and I was disappointed when they put supernatural elements in there... I would have rather had a murder mystery. I felt like I got more of the murder mystery aspect in this one than the original and I liked that... because there is some mystery as to why this is happening and why kids seem to be the only one affected by it. I think they go more into detail in Chapter 2... from what I remember of the original... I guess not knowing everything does make it a little creepier. And if you are scared by the movie- you might find it scarier... but yeah. Not scared.

I do still think it's a good movie. I'm interested in seeing Chapter 2 because I do think I liked that one a little more with the original... but horror movies don't need to scare you to be good... and I don't think you really need to like every part of a movie for it to be good... so this is kind of a great example of that. I do think I liked more about this movie than the original... but I guess I also knew what to expect... so that might help to. I don't know. Just don't go into this thinking its a killer clown and that there are no supernatural elements and then be disappointed by the supernatural elements in it.

Bye!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f