Skip to main content

High School Stories: No, I won't Buy Your Cheesecake!

Sooo this is a story that happened my freshman year of High School when I was bullied by mostly a group of boys who would call me "Betty" because Ugly Betty had just debuted and I did kind of look like her when I was in High School. I had glasses and messy hair... that's about it I think... but I did probably look like her. I didn't think I was Ugly... but when other people tell you you are... it's not the best thing in the world.

Anyway I'm telling this story because it's a story where I felt like I was particular strong and overall... I'm proud of how I handled things in general really... but I think this is a more positive example. 

So like I said, I was mostly bothered by a group of boys, but there were a few girls that weren't particularly nice to me either and one that called me betty quite a lot. 

Anyway- a bit about this girl... I think my first memory of this girl was at an assembly she sat in front of me at a crowded bleacher on an assembly. I mean it was like the whole class on a few bleachers so it was pretty crowded- you guys probably understand how there is limited leg room or space when you're sitting in bleachers. It was either this girl or one of her friends that were doing each other's hair in the bleachers and they kept hitting my legs while they were doing this. Total disregard of other people's personal space... and that annoyed me right off the gate. She was in a few of my classes after that and my initial feelings of annoyance were only further confirmed. 

But she was on a team and this team was selling cheesecakes for a fundraiser. And my best friend was on this team and I bought cheesecakes from her. The Hair girl knew that I was best friends with someone else on the team and she probably should have guessed that I had already bought cheesecakes... but I think this girl was just oblivious to the fact that there's a world out there besides her. Maybe it was just immaturity or something- hopefully she's changed since then...but she was very self involved. 

Anyway... she went to my locker to try to sell me this stuff... "Betty, Betty, Betty. BETTY! Oh my god, is she deaf or something? BETTY!!!!"

"That's not my name."

"Oh... Shannon, would you like to buy cheesecake from me."

"Really? After you just called me Betty, you think I'm going to buy cheesecake from you?"

And then I left. Actually I might have just said a polite, "No" but for any of my young readers who may need to deal with this situation- I'd say go with the sassier approach! As long as it's something that won't get you in trouble.

So my lesson here... be careful how you treat people because chances are you'll need their help some day and they won't help you if you treat them crapily. Also you don't have to take crap from people and you can do it in a way that won't get you in trouble and it won't hurt anyone else's feelings. I doubt this girl is going to ever read this post... and even if she does- I'm sure she won't realize that it's her I'm talking about in this post because when someone says something negative- people aren't all that self aware.

And yeah I'm sure the girl sold enough cheesecakes for the team and I'm sure that it didn't matter all that much in the long run. Plus I did buy cheesecakes from my friend and it went to the same place- so that doesn't really matter... and it's not like she stopped picking on me then... but still! I stood up for myself and it was all good!

I hope this helps anyone going through a similar situation. These aren't my favorite memories ever... and I know I was unhappy these days that the events actually did happen... but now as an adult I can look back on this situation and write on it with no issues... so it does get better!

Bye!
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f